Safe passage on the hills and mountains in winter conditions requires an understanding of avalanches and the conditions that can cause them.
The following links from SAIS (sportscotland Avalanche Information Service) are the best sources of information regarding avalanche conditions that are available in Scotland.
- SAIS, Snow and Avalanche reports
- SAIS, Lochaber observers blog
- SAIS, Creag Meagaidh observers blog
- SAIS, Northern Cairngorms observers blog
- SAIS, Southern Cairngorms observers blog
SAIS have recently introduced an avalanche map to their website. It plots the avalanches that they're aware of and makes for interesting viewing!
It's also worth checking the links on our Mountain Blogs page, as the instructors and guides featured there regularly report on the conditions prevalent on the routes that they've climbed.